￼￼Walmart’s Outdoor Living Centre, created by Mediative, won Silver at the Shopper Innovation Awards for Out-of-the-Box Retail.
Walmart partnered with Mediative to generate an interactive online experience that would engage, educate and drive sales for Walmart Canada both online and in stores.
The challenge was to use lifestyle and shopping content to strengthen the relationship between shoppers and Walmart’s core outdoor living brands, positioning Walmart as a destination for trusted content specifically around the outdoor living theme. The ultimate challenge was to inspire visitors to embrace the outdoor living lifestyle and increase their intent to buy.
Mediative designed and created an online environment featuring relevant editorial content that would engage consumers, facilitate their online shopping experience, and create a meaningful connection with Walmart’s core outdoor living brands.
The result was Walmart’s Outdoor Living Centre – a content-rich microsite featuring everything from interactive buying tools, to tips and advice, inspirational lifestyle content and top product recommendations, all specific to outdoor living brands. By developing a custom content management system, Mediative was able to update content regularly, allowing for a seasonal progression of content, topics and tools. The site reflected what was top of mind for consumers visiting the Outdoor Living Centre throughout the season.
Early Spring – the focus was on “Planning your vegetable garden” when visitors were preparing their gardens for the upcoming season.
Peak Summer – the content was updated with a “Yard Work to-do list: 5 pillars of backyard upkeep” as consumers were wondering how to keep their yards lush all summer long.
Fall – the focus switched to “Preparing your yard for winter” when people were starting to put their gardens to bed.
- During the peak season of outdoor living (Spring/Summer), the Outdoor Living Centre outperformed the outdoor living retail department on Walmart.ca.
- Shoppers who viewed Outdoor Living Centre content were 73% more likely to check out vs. those who were not exposed to the Outdoor Living Centre content.
- By creating content based on need and inspiration, the Outdoor Living Centre went beyond simple product pages to give shoppers a more compelling reason to visit the site and consider outdoor living products at Walmart. This resulted in more than 90% of impressions coming from outside the department, generating potential shoppers that assumingly would otherwise not have visited the department.
- This is evidence that content relevant to shoppers’ interests will have a positive impact on their intent to purchase, providing additional cross-selling merchandising opportunities for retailers. Branded content presents more reasons for visitors to consider additional products, acting as a traffic driver to different departments, ultimately increasing visitor basket size and encouraging purchases that were not necessarily intended when the visitor initially entered the site.
Brick and mortar location traffic:
- Customer feedback indicated that the Outdoor Living Centre on Walmart.ca provided valuable content and information that enhanced customers’ understanding of products, simplifying and assisting in the decision making process, and increasing the likelihood of visiting a Walmart store location.
These results highlight the importance of developing compelling and contextual content with recommended products, rather than promoting products alone. By providing a content-rich online environment, like the Outdoor Living Centre, retailers can inspire and motivate online shoppers to act, not only increasing online traffic and sales, but also in-store traffic.
- Consumers who viewed products after being exposed to branded content were 73% more likely to check out.
- Content relevant to shoppers’ interests had a positive impact on their intent to purchase, providing additional cross-selling merchandising opportunities for Walmart.
- Customer feedback indicated that the Outdoor Living Centre increased the likelihood of visiting a Walmart store location.
A PDF version of this case study is also available for download.
Ask one of Mediative’s Digital Marketing Strategists at email@example.com.