Mattel® was looking to establish a trusted partnership with the ‘Millennial Mom’, solidifying Fisher Price as the #1 Baby Brand in her life.
Specifically, the client wanted to:
- strengthen the connection with mom by understanding who she is, in order to reach her with the right message in the right place and at the right time.
- drive awareness around Fisher Price’s ability to provide solutions for Mom throughout the duration of her child’s development, and create associations with Fisher Price as the designated brand of choice.
Mattel® felt that Walmart.ca was a key partner to work with in order to achieve the above objectives.
Mediative created a strategy that was designed to engage with the mom shoppers on Walmart.ca by educating her on her child’s learning and development stages and recommending products suited for that stage.
Mediative’s Creative Services team designed and created a Fisher Price brand store that would be the destination for mom shoppers:
Next, a number of different sized display ads were created to act as traffic drivers to take shoppers to the above brand store:
Hero Banner Ad
Mediative leveraged a combination of media placements on Walmart.ca throughout the baby category, toy category, baby registry and newsletters (where moms are likely to shop) to create awareness around the Fisher Price Brand Store and drive traffic to this educational destination. Ads were shown on specific pages (e.g. Walmart>Toys, and Walmart>Baby) and also when specific keyword searches were made (e.g. “toddler”):
- 7,349,838 people were exposed to the messages across all traffic drivers.
- 16,895 pages in the Fisher Price brand store were viewed during the campaign.
- The average time spent on the Fisher Price brand store was 53 seconds, vs the 15-35 seconds usually spent looking at Walmart product pages in general.
- 49% of traffic to the Fisher Price brand store came from the Walmart>Toys page
- 30% of traffic came from the Walmart>Baby section. The Baby>Toys category hero banners achieved a 1.96% CTR – almost 100x the banner benchmark CTR of 0.02% – 0.04%*
- 15% of traffic came from the Walmart>Registry>Baby page. On this page, the CTR achieved was 1.25% – 18x more than the benchmark for banner ad CTR*.
- The campaign produced incredibly high Click Through Rates on the Baby>Toys category hero banners at 1.96% – almost 100x the banner benchmark CTR of 0.02% – 0.04%*
*Benchmark numbers are from historical information of running campaigns on Walmart.ca
This campaign indicates how effective strategically placed display ads on Walmart.ca can be at driving traffic to specific product pages or brand stores. By placing the ads, that had been designed to catch the attention of Millennial Moms shopping on Walmart.ca, on the pages that moms were likely to be visiting, Mattel® was able to showcase to mothers how its Fisher Price products could be educationally relevant throughout the duration of her child’s development.
The results from the campaign show that the partnership with Walmart.ca allowed Mattel® to achieve its desired objective of driving awareness around Fisher Price’s ability to provide solutions for Mom throughout the duration of her child’s development.
This case study is also available in a PDF format.