Trends for Marketers to Prepare for in 2018: #5 Messenger Advertising
As the end of the year draws closer, our experts have been contemplating what could be the “next big thing” in digital marketing in 2018, narrowing down their myriad of thoughts to just one or two top predictions that they believe will shape the coming year.
Whether it’s a relatively new trend, or something that’s been around for a while but is really going to take off in 2018, these trends are from the unique perspective of Mediative’s experts, how they see 2018 unfolding, and what digital marketers should be considering when planning next year’s marketing efforts.
Download the full eBook, with all 10 trends to prepare for here.
Facebook is a platform for people to engage with each other, and Facebook ads which look just like regular posts help boost those conversations between brands and the people who like them.
Messenger ads take this one step further by allowing brands to have conversations directly with their customers in the messenger interface. They use the same measurement tools and targeting criteria as the newsfeed, but they appear directly in the chat window between you and your customers.
Sephora was one of the first brands to really make use of this new tool. Rather than just make a placement and push an image, they created a conversation starter. They created a messenger-based assistant for people to ask about products, share a store experience or book a makeover, right from the messenger app. No need to click out to the website, no big infrastructure for Sephora’s web team to built, just a seamless, promoted product to get people into a conversation with Sephora.
There are some innovative messenger ads already out there to inspire you in 2018. Our partners at Hootsuite already have a list of best in class messenger ads that are worth checking out!
Examples of innovative messenger ads (1)
Did you know(2)?
- 2 billion messages are sent between people and businesses each month.
- 53% of people are more likely to shop with a business they can message directly.
- 56% of people would rather message than call customer service.
Tips for Advertisers (3)
- Be specific and actionable right away.When someone clicks into a conversation with your brand, they have already given a soft yes. Follow up with details.
- Use custom audiences. There’s no reason to send one message to everyone when you can tailor a direct message to people who have already messaged your page.
- Manage your impression cap. If people don’t like the ads in their messenger,they’re already in the right place to tell you about it!
Facebook Messenger ads are just messages that appear as conversations in the user’s Messenger app. The user can interact with the messages like they would with any other messages coming from friends or family(4).